Working with your hands may be something you enjoy, but you know that an injury could happen at any time.
There are many ways to protect your hands at work, all of which you need to consider. You never know when you’ll take a step that helps you to avoid a serious injury.
Here are some of the best ways to protect your hands at work:
- Wear work gloves at all times, especially when you are moving objects or working with machinery that calls for this protection.
- Don’t wear gloves around machinery that could catch the fabric and pull your hand into a dangerous position.
- Use machinery guards at all times.
- Keep your hands free of oil, grease and any other type of slippery substance.
- Don’t wear any type of jewelry when working, such as rings or bracelets. These could get caught in machinery.
- When using a truck or handcart to move an object, you should first check for clearance in doorways and other tight spaces.
- Never attempt to pick up a sharp object, such as glass, with bare hands.
These are just a few of the many things you can do to protect your hands at work. Even if some of these things sound like overkill, it’s better to be safe than sorry.
You could suffer many types of hand injuries, including but not limited to broken bones and lacerations.
If you injure your hand on the job, stop what you are doing to receive immediate medical attention. Also, report the accident and injury to your employer as soon as possible.
If your medical team advises against returning to work right away, you may be able to file a claim for workers’ compensation benefits. This is often the best way to receive compensation for your injury, providing you with money for expenses until you are able to return to work.