Aggressive. Ethical. Experienced.

Common types of construction accidents to be aware of

On Behalf of | May 14, 2016 | Construction Workers' Accidents |

If you work in construction, you should already be aware of the fact that construction can be a very dangerous industry. There are many elements on a typical job site that can pose a threat to California workers, whether you are demolishing a building, completing road construction or building a new structure.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to plan for and avoid every type of accident or risky situation on a construction site. However, knowing what some of the most common types of construction injuries are can help workers and employers take appropriate steps toward preventing them.

As examined in this FindLaw article, the following are some of the most common injuries and accidents that construction workers suffer:

  • Falls from scaffolding
  • Getting struck by falling or swinging objects
  • Being hit or crushed by a motor vehicle
  • Lacerations caused by mechanical misuse or failure
  • Heat stroke, dehydration and serious sunburns
  • Exposure to harmful chemicals and materials
  • Fires and explosions 
  • Electrocution

In many cases, following proper protocol and wearing protective gear can help workers avoid or minimize these incidences. However, accidents still happen despite our best efforts, and there are countless examples of people who are negligent in enforcing safety requirements to the detriment of workers.

If you or a loved one has been injured in either scenario (fluke accident or preventable accident caused by negligence), you can be eligible to receive some much-needed compensation for damages suffered. The type of compensation you will want to pursue depends on the details of the accident, so it can be crucial that injured construction workers consult an attorney to examine their options.

While you may already understand the hazards and risks of working in construction, you may not understand your rights to pursue compensation when you are injured on a jobsite. In order to seek damages stemming from missed work, hospital bills as well as pain and suffering, you would be wise to discuss your case with an attorney.



FindLaw Network