Aggressive. Ethical. Experienced.

Part II: What should I do if I was hurt in a fall at work?

On Behalf of | Jun 10, 2015 | Construction Workers' Accidents |

In a split second, your life can change. One moment, you are standing near the edge of a building you’re helping to construct and the next you have lost your footing and you are tumbling to the ground.

As we mentioned in our last post, falls are a serious problem for construction workers in California. If you have been hurt in a fall on a construction site, there are a few things you need to know. 

You need to see a doctor. Even if you don’t think you got hurt very badly, it is still a good idea to get checked out by a doctor. While you may think you don’t need a doctor’s help, you may have more serious injuries that you can’t see right away. A doctor will perform all the tests you need to make sure you can heal properly.

Your employer was responsible for keeping you safe. If you fell while working on a construction site, you may be able to hold your employer responsible for your injuries. In many cases, your employer is required to provide a fall protection system to keep you safe on the job.

For example, if you were working at a height of six feet above the ground or more, your employer should have provided some kind of fall protection. Even if you weren’t working that high up, but there was dangerous equipment near you, your employer should have provided a fall protection system.

Workers’ compensation benefits and a personal injury lawsuit can help pay your bills while you recover. When you get hurt because of a fall on a construction site, you may need to be out of work for some time while you recover. During that time, you should not have to worry about how you’re going to pay your bills.

After getting hurt at work, workers’ compensation benefits can help you pay your medical bills and make up for the money you would have made while on the job. In addition, filing a personal injury lawsuit can help you recover in other ways, to make sure you have the money you need to recover properly.



FindLaw Network